Thursday, June 18, 2009

Am I running?

I am all over the Internet looking at running blogs. I want to learn all I can and get tips from those who are actually running. Most are encouraging blogs with great tips. Some seem to be just snobby. The "feel" I get from them is that they seem somehow justified in thinking they are above everyone. Case in point, I read a blog where the writer mentioned how he hated when people call themselves runners but their pace is X amount. Being the curious new runner, I decided to look up the definitions of running and walking.

According to Merriam Webster the definition of running is : to go faster than a walk ; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step.

There was no mention of pace. It seems to come down to technique. And if you technique can be described by the above definition, then by God, you are running. You may not be running fast but if you are running. So if run across one of these blogs, don't be discourage. Speed or pace will come with time. Just do your best and try to improve on that. If you are consistent with your work out, then it is inevitable that your pace will increase.

And as time goes by, you may find out that not only will your pace increase but it will build confidence. Ever since I started running, I am seeing a different side of me. I go into Academy and I am not embarrassed. I feel as though I belong. I started to go biking, because there is no reason why I can't. I am seriously thinking about kayaking. There are no limits to what I can do as long as I believe that I can and set a goal.

1 comment:

  1. Very good point! I have those same issues with some blogs. I have also read blogs where people look down on people if they do intervals (such as I do - 3 or 4 minutes of running and the a one minute walk interval)

    ReplyDelete