Thursday, May 21, 2009

Need a schedule...dont' want a schedule

Today is my daughter's thirteenth birthday. I am not a morning person so it was a struggle for me to get up before she does so that I can wish her happy birthday. Let me back up. I am deaf in one ear so I do not always hear my alarm go off, if I am laying on my good ear. So last night I asked my husband to make sure to wake me up at 6AM so that I can wake up my daughter to give her a present. Well, at 3:24 he awoke from a dream where he heard an alarm and kept pushing on me to wake up. I didn't know what time it was at first so I was just devastated. I went to bed early so that I could get enough sleep and here I was being shaken, and feeling like I didn't have enough sleep. I turn to the clock and it is 3:30 in the morning. I grumble and go back to bed.

After finally getting up and giving her, her present. (Is that correct?) I go back to my room and try to go to sleep but I can't. I am in one of these, still tired but too much going through my mind that I can't sleep, sort of mood.

Now, here is the thing I am realizing about Couch to 5K. I need a schedule. I know I am to run three times a week because the program goes from day one to day three for each week. I know, from reading other blogs, that I shouldn't schedule these days consecutively. So when do I run? That is the question.

Most of the time, I just run when I make the time. Notice I said "make" the time and not "find" the time. If I had to "find" the time, well, lets just say I wouldn't look very hard. But usually, I look at my day and say either "Great, today is my day of rest." or I say "Ok, I rested yesterday, so I need to make time today to run." Well, today is one of those days I can't seem to "make" the time.

With all the activities today with my daughter, I just don't have the time or energy. So I feel guilty for not running. Had I, in fact, reviewed my schedule before the week started, I could have made time on other days because I knew I couldn't do it today. If I knew ahead of time, I would not feel guilty.

My point is this: If you can pre-schedule your run time, go ahead and do it. It takes the guessing game out of the equation and you won't feel guilty if you have two consecutive days of no training. Or maybe you don't feel guilty. I know that I shouldn't. I know I will run it tomorrow. Well, I know that because I broke down and scheduled my workouts. Besides, I don't want my Nike Mini to talk smack about me because I have not ran for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment