Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reunited and it feels so good



 Well I did it.  After months of thinking about, mulling over it, debating over it and well just looking for any excuse to NOT do it.  I put on my tenny shoes and ran the trails.  For all those newbies to my blog, I have no excuse to not run.  I live in an area of the US that gets decent weather about 9 months out of the year. By decent, I mean, it isn't freezing.  Sure, our summer months can be brutal with highs of 98-100 degrees but that is mid day. If you go running about 6 or 7 am, it will only be around 80.  But not only do I have good weather but I live almost smack dab in the middle of a wonderful 8 mile, well kept trail.  If I walk 100 yards from my front door, my foot would step on this trail.  If I turn right, I wind through the butterfly district.  My fine city has built and maintained a wonderful butterfly sanctuary for the monarch butterfly.  Each year these beautiful creatures use it as a rest stop in their migration. People travel from all over Texas to come see them.  I run past our new library, skateboard park, golf frisbee course and swimming pool. If I leave my home and go to the left, I can anticipate seeing the deer grazing along the creek, javalinas, turtles and wind up at the water at Pine Gully Park.  People drive from all over to walk, run and bike our trails and once a year we host the Lucky Trail Marathon. Did I mention it is a great trail for fluffies?  Well it is.   I am not running on concrete, which causes alot of jarring of the joints.  It is a crushed granite trail that is well maintained.  

I told you I have no excuse.  So yesterday when I took my run it was like visiting an old dear friend and we just picked up where we left off.  I must admit, I was a bit apprehensive about running out there. It was a fear I had years ago when I started running.  When I started running, I only did the treadmill aka dreadmill at home.  It took me a few weeks before I ventured onto the trails and even then there was alot of tugging of my shirt and looking down at the trail.  I mean, what is this fluffy doing on the course?  I was running.  Maybe not a pace that rivals a Kenyan but I was running.  And yesterday I had to remind myself of that.  Just run.  Don't waste the head space on what I think others are thinking.  I have no idea what others are thinking...so get over it.  It didn't take long but soon I was just running and enjoying the view.

I used my new Amphipod Handheld ( I have a video review of it coming tomorrow) case for my phone, so this data junkie could easily see my pace, time and distance.  There is something about seeing my pace that encourages me to to run just a little bit faster....not much but alittle.  So I said "good morning" to sun, "how are you doing" to the trees and  "I had fun" to the trail.  And at the end of it all, I looked down at my Nike+ and smiled.


No comments:

Post a Comment